Monday, October 14, 2013

Yes, You can Publish what you Journal

Well, I've finally launched my first eBook: How to Journal and How to publish from your journal.
  
Aside from my corporate writing, I’ve been publishing my personal writing since around 1990 in newspapers, magazines, literary journals, and anthologies: Book reviews, Essays, Personal Remembrances, Short Stories, and Poetry.

Last year at a writers group I joined for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo.org), I was asked how I got published.

I told them that most of what I’ve published came straight from the pages of my Journal.  I proceeded to explain how I journal everything and one day noticed that one of those journal entries had the makings of a personal essay.

I transcribed it into Word, edited it, polished it, rewrote it and submitted it to the Birmingham Arts Journal.  It was accepted and published.  I felt like I'd struck gold. I went back to my journals to look for more buried treasure, and I started journaling with an eye to what I was putting on the page.  I thought maybe others would like to know how to journal with an eye to publication. 

So here it is again, November looms and I find myself again at this year’s NaNoWriMo group.  The same question came up about how I managed to publish what I write in my journal.  This time I could not only tell them how, but that my eBook on the subject would be coming out on Amazon October 11, 2013.  

I made the deadline - Yay - I have lift off.  

No comments: