Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Cloud Dweller for National Faery Tale Day

I love Faery Tales.  I read them and had them read to me when I was a child, and I had my favorites.  I was not the princess.  I liked the regular girls best before they gained that status. Cinderella and Beauty were the daughters of merchants/storekeepers; Red Riding Hood was a woodcutter’s only child; the heroine of Rumpelstiltskin was a miller’s
daughter – and so on.

pink sunrise 3 sky
When I liked the ending as in Rumpelstiltskin I went with the story.  Of course I was the miller’s daughter who triumphed over the wicked little creature who would steal my child.

Red Riding Hood I revised when I read it to myself.  I was she, but in my version the wolf did not eat me, because I was so tough and so smart. It was I who rescued my grandmother just before my father arrived.

I pondered my propensity to make stories including faery tales suit my ideal – walk on clouds so to speak or 'head in the clouds' as momma put it.  I wrote the below poem in one of those moments when I had fallen through those insubstantial clouds to the reality of a disabled child and a sick husband, and...

The Cloud Dweller
far away
and long ago
there is a child
i used to know
with wide bright eyes
asking why
perle velvet cropped 5not out loud
but deep inside
why that way
and not my
way
those clouds those
insubstantial
faery vapors which
upheld us
have given way
to the ground
i wonder if
we shall walk
together
as easily as we
flew 
Cloud Dweller © Perle Champion 11/25/80 

No comments: