Friday, April 4, 2014

D is for the Dash twixt Dawn and Dusk

Day 4 of Blogging from A to Z.  Today’s letter is D
D is for the Dash between Dawn and Dusk

The Dash

we dash twixt dawn and

dusk blind to miracles strewn
like gems before us

a life reduced to
birth and death dates and one small
dash engraved in stone.

The poem is new – written this afternoon as I revisited my 4/4/12 Blog on the letter D.  I find I need reminding from time to time, to get out of my rut and live my Dash. So although the text below is mostly a reprint, the double haiku above is new – written this morning

4/4/2012
Too often, we dash between dawn and dusk barely noticing the miracles, large and small, strewn like gems throughout our days. 

I read an article in which the writer said ‘live your dash’.  What I wondered did that mean.  She went on to explain that as she wandered through a cemetery one day, she noticed that beneath each name there were two dates with a small dash between them.

I never thought about that – a lifetime reduced to a birth date and a death date separated by a small dash. 

I know people who plod through their days for whom that dash is far too large.  I know people who dash through their days and never notice the day’s bounty.  

And I know people for whom that dash is far too small to encompass the life they live.

I’m determined to live my dash from dawn to dusk and then some. 


Are you living your dash?

No comments: