Wednesday, July 9, 2014

3 Rules to Get You Walking

Walk About Wednesdays – Here are 3 rules to help you get your walk or other workout done early with no excuses.

Aside from walking to Lister Hill for my WriteNow session, I’m walking in the early mornings again as I once did religiously.  There was a time when I was up every morning at 5 a.m. and out the door for a 5-mile walk before getting ready and going to work.

Somewhere around the time I had the meniscus tear in my left knee repaired (years of various sports injury), I quit.  It’s true that it takes only 3 days to break a good habit, even one I’ve had for over 25 years.  I’m living proof.  The knee was getting painful before the surgery so my walking had gotten sporadic, but after thepark green at dawn gardensurgery, I just couldn’t get going again.

I pulled out a blog I wrote some years ago and decided implement the rules that kept me walking for so many years first thing in the morning.
  1. Park complete workout outfit by bed – on top of shoes stack socks, shorts, panties, bra, shirt.
  2. Start dressing while on toilet (I always go first thing, so I take my stack of clothes with me).
  3. Grab keys, phone, and small tablet with pen and stuff in pocket (these should be parked by the door)
I used to carry a camera, too, but with the iPhone takes jusst a good a picture.  I carry a small, as I'm a writer and good ideas seem to come when you're miles from home with nothing to write on. 

I’m usually out the door in 10 minutes.

Will this help you get some early morning walking done?

No comments: