Monday, January 16, 2012

I love the aroma of baking bread?

I watched Julia on pbs last weekend and she was baking quick breads.  I've made all kinds of bread, from sour dough, yeast, biscuits, tortillas, chapati's, etc., but I've not yet done Irish Soda Bread.  The recipe was so simple (see below), but I wondered how it would do with 100% whole wheat.  Thing about whole wheat is the bran; it can not only break that delicate elasticity needed for breads to rise correctly, it requires more moisture or it bakes up dry, or dense and crumbly because it doesn't rise as well

I thought I'd give it a try, and it's in heavenly aroma is wafting through the apartment as I type this and sip a dos Equis.  Being a quick bread, it doesn't require kneading, which is great if you're in a hurry.  I love the process of my sour dough though, because I love the zen aspect of kneading, rising, and kneading again.

The bread knife is ready, and the butter is softening, and I will eat the first slice warm and have a slice or two more with leftover soup from yesterday.  Note: Done, and sliced heal perfectly, next slice a little crumbly, but oh it tastes so good.  Maybe when it cools, it'll slice easier, but I couldn't wait.


Simple Irish Soda Bread
3 Cups flour (white recommended,  used organic whole wheat)
2 tsp baking soda
1-1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter
1-2/3 Cups Buttermilk (must be buttermilk)
Mix dry ingredients
Cut in butter till flour mixture has mealy look
Make a well in center of flour mixture and pour in buttermilk
Mix thoroughly with spoon, spatula or hand till forms ball.
Turn out on flour dusted surface
Form into ball place on greased cookie sheet

Bake at 375 for 50-60 minutes will sound hollow when tapped on bottom.

No comments: