Sunday, January 1, 2012

Old Year/New Year



It's been a year of incredible loss.  The February fire took most all of my worldly goods and the life of one of the sweetest men I've ever known. I don't miss the things, but I do miss my friend.

I pulled an old poem from my archives which speaks to me now, as it did when I wrote it at another trying year's end many years ago. 


Old Year, New Year.

Old and gray – tired and worn
many died – more were born
much was said – so little done
with the rising and setting of each sun.

Farewell to thee with tears we say
and greet the new with laughter gay

So much could, should, would have done
but alas, I’d just begun and the year was gone.

And so, today I make firm resolution
to do much more by this year’s conclusion.

© Perle Champion

No comments: