My Mom used Tupperware; I use a large yogurt container and various Ziploc bags. Mom's was called 'Soup Surprise'; mine is called 'Mystery Soup'. Note: Save meats separately.
When the vegetable container is full it’s time for soup or a hearty pasta with vegetable sauce. Bear in mind that a hearty soup needs more substance than just broth and vegetables: a can of diced tomatoes, potatoes or sweet potatoes.
Sassy Sweet Potato Soup
1-2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil, butter or oil of choice
1 Small onion chopped
1 Clove garlic smashed
1 Tsp cumin
1 Tsp coriander
1/2 Tsp ginger
3 Cups chicken or vegetable stock or water with 2 dissolved Knorr bouillon cubes.
3-4 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 Lb bag of carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
1 Container of ‘Mystery Soup’ vegetables.Directions:
- Sauté onion 1 minute; add garlic and spices and stir 1 minute more.
- Deglaze pan with a splash of vermouth, or any item in step 3.
- Add stock or water and bouillon cubes. Stir well to deglaze pan completely.
- Add chopped sweet potatoes and carrots and simmer till al dente. (Note: you can substitute all carrots or all sweet potatoes if you prefer)
- Puree potatoes/carrots using immersion blender or in batches in regular blender
- Add ‘Mystery Soup’ vegetables whole or cut into small pieces.
- When soup comes back to boil, turn down to simmer for 10 more minutes stirring frequently to avoid sticking.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Garnish with dollop of yogurt or sour cream or chives.
- Serve with garlic or pesto toast.