Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Devil Made Me Do It. NOT!

This morning, I struggled.  Stayed up late - one-ish.  Two chapters shy of finishing the book - need I say more.


Sooooo, 5 a.m. came very early and since I don’t really have to leave for work  til 7:45, I could have rolled over until 6.   But the cat had her nose to mine inquiring about breakfast.  Those whiskers get me every time.  No purring or meowing here, it’s more a truncated, disgusted sound like ‘meck’ – hard to write phonetically, but cat people know what I mean.

So I got up, fed her, then prepared my morning pre-walk drink: 10 oz water, 1 Tbs raw honey, 1 Tbs Braggs organic vinegar, stir well, drink on way to bathroom.  I shed my shortie pajamas on the toilet, pull on my workout shorts, flush and head for the living room to don shoes, socks, hat; put phone in one pocket, and a pad and pen in the other. 

I’m about ready to walk out the door, but then I did a Flip Wilson and listened to those little voices.  ‘Hey,’ said the devil on my left shoulder, ‘you’ve done 7 days straight, take it easy.  The world won’t come to an end if you don’t walk today.’

Whereupon, the angel on my right shoulder piped up, ‘Big deal.  You’re 40 pounds over weight; you’re still drinking like a fish; you think 7 days is gonna shed all that fat.  Not!’.

I got my keys, sunglasses and headed out the door. Angel 1, Devil 0.  When I got back home, I was glad I went.  I always am.  The sunrise was a bonus.  In the beginning, it’s just getting out the door that’s the hardest part.

It’s a fact that it takes 30 days to build a good habit and only 3 to break it.  Not fair, but whoever told you life was fair, lied.

That angel was so right, I’m walking, but I’m still drinking more than I should.  I’ll keep moving forward and maybe arrive at the best answer to the question: 

Now what?

No comments: